A beautiful main dish salad that is perfect for anytime of year.
This can be made with chicken breast in place of duck, if
desired.2 whole duck breasts, skin removed.
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 Tb. ginger, peeled, minced
2 Tb. soy sauce
5 Tb. cilantro, chopped
1 cup plum wine
1 small shallot, minced
2 Tb. lemon juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 Tb. olive oil
2 small bunches arugula, washed and dried
12 oz. haricot verts, stem end only trimmed, blanched
2 oranges, segmented
2 tsp. each black and white sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine the duck with the sugar, ginger, soy and half
the cilantro in a small bowl. Turn to coat and marinate
for at least an hour.
- Reduce the plum wine to 1/4 cup over medium heat in
a small saucepan.
- Combine the remaining cilantro, the plum wine, lemon
juice, vinegar, and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk;
season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan for 5 minutes over high heat.
- Grill the duck 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until
medium-rare. Remove to a cutting board. Slice thinly
on the diagonal.
- Divide the arugula between 4 large plates and drizzle
with some of the plum dressing. Arrange the duck slices
on top in a spoke pattern. Arrange the orange sections
between the duck slices. Scatter the haricot verts around
the outside of the plate in a circle. Drizzle each salad with
the remaining dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.