This is a low-fat version of the traditional Italian bread
that everybody loves. Minus all the oil that is ordinarily
used, this recipe produces a crispy flat bread that is great
with soup or salad.
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. plus 2 tsp. rosemary, chopped
salt, pepper, to taste
- Pour the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast
over it. Stir and set aside for a few minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt in a processor and process
for 30 seconds. Add the yeast mixture through the
feed tube with the motor running. Add 2 Tb. of the olive
oil and 1 Tb. of the rosemary and process until the dough
forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead for
a few minutes to form a smooth ball. Place in a lightly
oiled medium bowl and turn to coat the dough. Cover and
allow to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450.
- Punch dough down and roll into an 8 inch circle. Transfer
the dough to a baking sheet and prick all over with a fork.
Sprinkle with the remaining oil and rosemary and season
with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden about 7 minutes. Remove to a wire
rack to cool slightly and cut into 8 wedges.